• Patricia Brandt, Attorney

Ohio "Stand Your Ground" Law

As of Monday, January 4, 2020 Governor DeWine signed SB 175 adding Ohio to a list of states that do not require a person to retreat before using deadly force in self-defense. The amended state law takes effect in 90 days.

Ohio’s previous rules required those using firearms in cases of self-defense to try to retreat from the confrontation first, unless they were in their home or their vehicle. The exception to the duty to retreat while inside one's residence was called the Castle Doctrine and is different law than Stand Your Ground law.

The change to the law does remove one technicality from Ohio's self-defense laws but it does not change the near universal and well-established standard for use of lethal force. People may be justified in using deadly force in self-defense so long as they aren’t the aggressor, believe they are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, and are in a place where they lawfully have the right to be.

Ohio's self-defense statute is ORC 2901.09 The statute will not show the changes to the law until the law officially takes effect in 90 days.

If you have questions about Ohio's self-defense laws, or if you have been charged with using force and you want to use self-defense as your defense in court, contact a lawyer immediately.

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Understanding Spousal Support, aka Alimony

There's no such things as "alimony" in Ohio anymore. It has been replaced by "spousal support," which refers to payments from one spouse to another during or after a divorce. When will I receive spous

Driving with Ohio’s alcohol take-out law.

Ohio’s to-go alcohol sales recently became permanent with the signing into law of House Bill 669. Many Ohioans are confused by the idea of driving home with an alcoholic beverage in the cupholder next

Child Support, Enforcement, and Modification

Child support is the financial contribution a parent makes to their child’s upbringing. Parents who are unmarried, separated or divorcing, may request a child support order from their local child supp